A picnic by a viaduct

Yesterday we went out for a picnic. We decided to go for a drive and find a nice spot to have it away from people as much as possible so Adam had a google and found Welland Viaduct. It looked really impressive and we were sure that we would find somewhere nice to sit for our picnic when we got there.

I took us the scenic route to get there which ended up taking over an hour but we went through some really lovely villages and saw some really impressive houses along the way. It did make us think that we would love to live somewhere smaller and more in the countryside. One day we will.

We found Welland Viaduct very impressive and there was a a very convenient sheep field with a footpath running through it just opposite a lay-by that we managed to park in.
We parked up right underneath one of the 82 arches.

And then ventured into the field to make camp for our picnic.
This was the perfect spot. Complete with happy looking sheep running around.
Even the view away from the viaduct was absolutely stunning.
Our whole panorama view was amazing though.
We saw a few trains passing by over the bridge which was quite exiting. It would have been more impressive to have seen steam engines going over as they would have done when it was built 1876-1878 but we were happy with it none the less.

We decided to take after Aunty Sarah and said that no picnic would be complete without a little booze so we both took one of our favourites with us to go with lunch.
I really could have stayed here for hours. All I would have needed was my book and you could have left me here all day (although my bum did go a little numb after a while!)
When we walked back to the car I found this gorgeous thistle flower on the edge of the path. I immediately said - “that’s beautiful but I’ll never be able to get a good picture of it” and this is what happened.
I was pretty pleased with myself getting this.

On the way back we took the more direct route to go and meet some of our neighbours in one of the local pub car parks as they had a pop-up shop there selling waffles, popcorn and candy floss. We both had a waffle to eat as the pudding of our picnic - I meant to take pictures as they looked incredible but they seemed to disappear a little too quickly so this was all I got.
I had melted chocolate and marshmallows on mine and it was gorgeous! I had to bring the packet home to scoop up the chocolate and marshmallows that had fallen off the waffle. It would have been a shame to waste any of it.

That was a great end to a lovely outing and we also had a lovely evening chatting to one of my friends who called and watching movies. We watched Marvellous and The Lady In The Van - two just lovely movies that make you laugh and cry. It was a lovely weekend but even going out for a few hours doing that we did find slightly stressful before we went and were absolutely exhausted by the time we got home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conkers!

A weekend in the Charlie Van

Test painting for a future idea