Abstract painting

Yey! This post means I’m ready for the big tah-dah moment.

Last night I sneaked upstairs for a few minutes while Adam was hanging laundry out and getting dinner in the oven to put the final touches onto my painting.

On Friday I had the day off so I managed to paint the green section then - with my new paint that had arrived so I had a pre-mixed geeen.
It did feel a little bit like cheating using the pre-mixed green as it’s not a primary colour and the others I had mixed myself from primary colours but I just wanted to get the painting finished and I had ordered a green so it seemed a shame not to.
 I got it all taped up ready to go and then started adding the green. The joys of having it pre-mixed is that it didn’t matter if I ran out of paint half way through as I could just add more quite easily. That was my big worry with the other colours that I mixed and having it happen once already with the green was plenty for me so I took the safe option.
 And with the final pieces of tape removed all of the painting was finished.
I had decided before I started that I wanted to have something in between the sections to clean up the lines a bit (and also to cover for any slight slips or spills with the paint in case it went onto the wrong section). The best thing I could find was this white board tape. Being white board tape I couldn’t get a white colour or anything so I decided to go for black.

This evening the green was definitely dry so I went to add the tape and finally finish my picture. I worked out that I needed to be a little bit careful with the order that I would add it to make sure I didn’t get any raw edges showing in the middle of the picture. Here goes...
Between the orange and yellow first as it was in the middle of the picture
Then this one as I thought it didn’t have any other edges to cover (I was wrong, I learnt that later on!)
Line next to the red added.
Then purple...
And final one was where I realised the error of my ways. The line next to the green needed to go under the one separating the blue off. Luckily I managed to carefully peel back the tape and then add this line before re-sticking down what I had already done. I’m pleased I only made that mistake once as it was a bit tricky. I felt like I needed an extra pair of hands to hold everything out the way while I finished it off.
 Then here is the big reveal and final ta dah moment...
I’m really pleased with the way it turned out. I’m not totally sure where in my crafty room it’ll go yet but I enjoyed doing it and am pleased with the outcome which is the most important thing I guess.

Adam was impressed with it too and has even ordered me a series of smaller box canvases so I can make a few similar paintings for the kitchen when they arrive. Watch this space.

Comments

  1. Looking forward to my commissioned paintings for the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Conkers!

A weekend in the Charlie Van

Test painting for a future idea