Repurposed candle

The first of my crafty tasks from the weekend - we had a nice candle with a wooden wick but as with all of these that come in a glass container they tell you not to burn them too far down so this candle has about reached the end of its safe useable life.

I had a candle making kit last year I think it was for Christmas and I hadn’t tried using it yet. Obviously it’s designed to make candles from scratch melting down wax and adding your own colours and smells but we thought it could also be a good way of repurposing this candle. We only used the wick from the kit so the wax and colours etc can still be used another time.

For this one we melted down the candle by lighting it and allowing the wax to go molten. While that was happening I set up an old jar we used to store spices in with a wick hanging on it ready to have the wax poured in.
A little messy when poured over the wick into the jar but the extra wax will hopefully melt off fairly quickly when it’s lit.
We left it overnight to fully solidify before cutting down the wick to a length it could be lit and removing the stick
When we lit it the first time it seemed to go ok. I suppose to start off with though it was only burning the wick.
As we left it to burn for a little while longer the problem we found was that the wick was burning faster than the wax was melting away so the flame died down. I’m not sure if it’s the jar that’s making it do this as the top is quite closed in or the wick from the kit. I’d like to try to buy a better/thicker wick and try this again to see if I can make it work. I have quite a few of these jars so if I can make it work I would like to use the wax in the candle making kit to make some more candles like this. I’ll get some new wick and try again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conkers!

A weekend in the Charlie Van

Test painting for a future idea